Paddlers of all types and skill levels are invited to join us for a day of fun on the waterways of the Yellow Lakes and River! The 9.5 mile poker run takes you along the wild stretch of the Yellow River from Highway 35 west to Yellow Lake, across Big Yellow Lake and Little Yellow Lake then back onto the Yellow River north to Forts Folle Avoine Historic Park! Participants draw a random card at each of five stops along the way to achieve the best five-card poker hand. Prize for the top three best 5-card poker hands is a share of the entry fee.
- Participants should plan to arrive at the Highway 35 boat launch 45 minutes prior to their selected launch time to unload boats & gear, drive to park your car at Forts Folle Avoine and hitch a shuttle ride back to the launch site.
- There will be 5 "card stops" along the way marked clearly with a large flag marked "CHECKPOINT" – a map will be given to each team to show the location of the stops.
- Participants have the option of purchasing a donation Card before launching and when you reach the take-out point at the end. Only one card per stop may be purchased.
- Cards must remain in their sealed envelopes until the end of the route (please no cheating) where they will be opened by a volunteer. No trading of cards is allowed.
- Upon completion of the course, stick around for a post-paddle picnic at the Finish location!
- You will be able to drive your vehicles down to the river to pick up your boats after the picnic.
- All participants must have coast guard approved life jackets and sea-worthy vessels!
- Children (under 16) may participate for $10 per person (not including boat rental fees) but will not be able participate in the poker hand or win prizes unless they pay full price (no age minimum for full participation).
- All participants must sign a waiver
Cost per paddler is $30 and includes:
- players cards
- safety whistle
- post-paddle picnic with sandwich bar, chips, cookies & drink
- door prize ticket for a chance to win some fun prizes
- and the gratification of knowing that your participation helps support the promotion of Burnett County Wisconsin as a great place to visit and have some BURNETT COUNTY FUN!
Bring Your Own Craft OR Rent a Craft
Bring Your Own Craft OR Rent a Canoe, Kayak or Tandem Kayak (2 person)
This is a “Bring Your Own Craft” event. If you want to participate but don’t have a craft you can rent one for an additional reduced-price fee, including life vests.
To reserve a kayak or canoe prior to the event, be sure to indicate your needs on the registration form. Rentals provided by Wild River Outfitters, Grantsburg, WI.
Canoe Rental - $60/each
Solo Kayak Rental - $55/each
Tandem Kayak Rental - $60/each
TICKETS TO THE POKER PADDLE ON SEPTEMBER 12, 2020 ARE NON-REFUNDABLE - THIS INCLUDES INCIDENSES RELATED TO SEVERE WEATHER. THE EVENT WILL BE HELD RAIN OR SHINE BUT MAY BE CANCELLED IF THE WEATHER MAKES IT NECESSARY.